The H.I.V.E. welcomed Emerge Alabama’s newly appointed Executive Director Stacie Propst to our September meeting on Thursday, September 21, 2017. Emerge America is a national organization that serves as a training ground for Democratic women. Their goal is simple: to increase the number of Democratic women in public office. They differentiate from other training programs such as Emily’s List as they are a grassroots organization that recruits and trains women in EVERY position of government from local school boards to national offices.
The Alabama chapter is just getting started! Dedicated women in the state had to raise $50,000 just to get going. Once fully funded, Emerge Alabama will offer a six month training program to 25 Alabama women looking to make a difference. They will receive over 70 hours of training that will demystify the process of running for office and provide them the tools to succeed. In 2016, 70% of Emerge’s alumnae on the ballot won their elections.
What can we do to help?
- Emerge Alabama needs our help! They are hosting their launch party on Sunday, October 1, 2017 from 4:00-7:00 p.m. at Cahaba Brewing (4500 5th Ave, S). Come out and learn more about this fabulous program. More info on the event can be found here.
- Donate directly to Emerge Alabama here. They need to raise $120k by the end of the year to start training our Alabamian women.
- If you have contacts in rural counties or are interested in hosting a house party, please email Stacie and let her know. Many thanks to Stacie and all her hard work!
The rest of the meeting was spent chatting about H.I.V.E.’s current and upcoming projects including:
- Monthly phone banking for Felicia Stewart, candidate for Alabama House District 46 (please contact Kristin for more information or if you can host at your house).
- Our upcoming event Open Ears & Beers on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at Good People Brewing (114 14th Street, S). We need help promoting the event and finding groups to partner with (please email Megan for more information).
- M.A.D in Alabama’s upcoming lunch with Representative Anthony Daniels on Tuesday, September 26, 2017 from 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at Surin West (1918 11th Ave S) and dynamite panel Unnecessary Deaths: Why We Lose Alabama Infant & Mothers on Thursday, October 26, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the Vestavia Hills Library (1221 Montgomery Highway).
- A library project we are starting in the Homewood Public Schools. H.I.V.E. will be purchasing sets of anti-bullying and ant-bias books for each of the elementary schools and middle school. We hope to expand this project outside of Homewood and will need your help donating books! More info coming soon but please email Kristin if you are interested in helping.
- We need your ideas! Please let us know what topics, speakers, projects you would like to see the H.I.V.E. focusing on. We are inspired by your fabulousness!