Will 2023 be the year Alabama finally expands Medicaid to help cover more than 300,000 people without health insurance and save its rural hospitals? Will politicians reverse course on a plan (possibly illegal) to use COVID relief money to construct new Alabama mega-prisons owned by for-profit companies? Will the legislature spend the half-billion surplus in the Education Trust Fund on improving education and expanding healthcare (two areas where the state ranks near the bottom in quality of life indicators), or will it spend the windfall funds on tax cuts?
We’ve teamed up with our favs MAD? Make a Difference Alabama to hold the virtual What Happens in Montgomery Affects Everyone on Tuesday, February 21st from 12 – 1 p.m. via Zoom. We will be discussing the upcoming Alabama legislative session with speakers covering a range of important topics:
- Dana Sweeney, Statewide Organizer of Alabama Appleseed
- Dana Ellis, City Gun Violence Lead, Birmingham of the Alabama Chapter of Moms Demand Action
- Akiesha Anderson, Policy & Advocacy Director of Alabama Arise
- Kathy Jones, President of the League of Women Voters of Alabama
- Cindy Lowry, Executive Director of Alabama Rivers Alliance